Ediale Footballizes Soccer betting ( Episode 003).
Now the question is this, does the bible specifically say a thing against gambling, betting or lottery (casting lots)?
The answer is no…nowhere in the bible would you get a direct specific condemnation. But since the Bible warns against the love of money in (1 Timothy 6:10; Hebrews 13:5), it’s assumed that betting falls into this category.
But it’s so wrong.
Scripture also encourages us to stay away from attempts to “get rich quick” (Proverbs 13:11; 23:5; Ecclesiastes 5:10). How rarely does one get rich by sports betting? You think making money through soccer or other sports betting is easy? Think again, ‘quick riches’ is a paradoxical phrase.
While the Bible does not explicitly mention gambling, it does mention events of “luck” or “chance.” As an example, casting lots is used in Leviticus to choose between the sacrificial goat and the scapegoat. Joshua cast lots to determine the allotment of land to the various tribes. Proverbs 16:33 says, “The lot is cast in the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.” So here we see that thin line between gambling as a lifestyle and as a financial operation.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle, but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
– If you must know, wealth gotten from soccer betting is hardly ever done hastily. If you get a regular job like my friend who got one with an oil company, you will make money more speedily. You may want to oppose that and talk about the many years spent in school to attain such employability. What then will you say about people like me who have invested years and money watching and studying the game of football? Also, I know people who religiously settle for ‘little by little’ bet winning philosophy. These people win as little as N 4000 every week… Another version of the Bible uses ‘Dishonest money’. Trust me, there’s nothing dishonest about winning a bet. Same way there’s nothing dishonest about getting a scholarship or getting money from participating in a reality show or quiz contest. Dishonest money is gotten by stealing, scamming or duping…e.t.c.
Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
– As a businessman, employer, politician, clergy, student, bettor…this is a virtue we must strive to have. We must develop this character. I know a Bet9ja operator that doesn’t receive tips from customers who win. It’s a personal philosophy for him. Same way I know other Bet9ja operators, church ushers, bank security guards who will go to a terrible length to get tips from you. I have seen discipline bettors.
They developed the character, not of financial discipline. And they see betting as a critical form of investment. That’s not to say all bettors have tamed their love for money demons. Same way there are people in the Church who haven’t.
1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
– True…but Bet9ja isn’t the most popular website in Nigeria because it’s used only by pagans. Millions of Christians are on the bet9ja platform openly or secretly. Many of them still preach the gospel, obey the 10 commandments and still live a good life.
They love money, first because they love being responsible. They want to take care of their bills, give to Caesar by Tax, give to God by tithe, pay school fees…etc. Their love for money is the good kind of love. Not the type that will kill to make it.
They don’t steal to make it. They participate in a legitimate and harmless betting scheme. There are many people in the regular job system, making the regular pay and aren’t really obedient to this scripture. They lie and do all sort of terrible things to get money.
1 Timothy 6:9
But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.
– I do not think there is any church still standing that preaches poverty, “Those who desire to be poor will not fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction’’.
– So it’s not just about the desire…it’s the hurtful, bloody, dark-chasing desire that makes you do anything for money that’s the issue here.
Considering all these, I personally, think there’s nothing wrong with sports betting. What is wrong in sports betting can also be wrong in any other engagements. What we should all strive for is to become better Christians. By their fruits, we shall know them!
833total visits,3visits today